The Benefits of Colocation
By eliminating the need to set up your own data centre, server colocation can benefit a small to mid-sized business in many ways. To put it simply, a colocation centre is a data centre that houses and rents space for servers, equipment, bandwidth, etc. to other businesses. In addition to reducing costs, colocation has other benefits like scalability, physical security, etc. We’ll discuss some of the most important of these below:
- Cost Reduction: Colocation eliminates the need to maintain your own data centres. By doing so, it reduces the cost of setting up IT infrastructure. You also don’t need to hire the team of IT experts required to maintain your own data centre.
- Scalability: Colocation centres offer a variety of packages at different costs to ensure that you pay for what you need. It also allows you to upgrade your package to support your business growth.
- Physical Security: Colocation houses all servers and other equipment in a different building from your office, offering added security against unfortunate events like fire and theft.
- Reliable Connectivity: With dedicated professionals looking after the maintenance of the data centre, colocation can benefit your business by providing uninterrupted data connection.
- Power Usage: Data servers require a lot of power, and thus, incur a lot of costs. By renting a colocation service, you can significantly reduce the cost of powering your data centre 24/7.
- Data Protection: Many colocation centres offer multi-layered data protection and dedicated cyber security professionals, so you can feel secure about the protection of your valuable data.
- Cooling Facilities: Server equipment needs to be kept cool, while your employees may need the thermostat to provide heating. By renting space at a colocation centre, you can simplify your office’s temperature control needs.