A garage door should be secure, stable and operational. They should also suit your tastes and complement the aesthetics of your home. So, here’s what you need to know about garage doors.
What Types are Available?
There are four main types of garage doors:
- Timber garage doors are popular due to their aesthetic appeal. They also work like normal doors as they have a side hinge.
- Framed Retractable doors are great for space because they retract into your garage’s roof space. They look good with most properties and have a range of styles and colours.
- Insulated Sectional doors are similar to framed doors, but they retract back in sections. They’re perfect for extra space and look stylish too.
- Roller doors are a great option if you don’t have much space in your garage. The door rolls up instead of retracting, so you can keep a lot of items in the garage.
Which Material Should I Choose?
The five materials all have their benefits, and it comes down to your preferences and the style you want to achieve.
- Natural Wood and Wood Composite are stunning materials and give any home a traditional look. They don’t come cheap though and if you want a wooden door then maintenance is key. Wood composite is similar to natural wood but it’s cheaper.
- Steel is low maintenance but it can rust over time and is susceptible to dents. If you decide steel is the best choice for you, make sure the door you purchase is made from two layers of galvanised steel.
- Aluminium is a lightweight material, but still very effective for garage doors. Some models are dent resistant and require little maintenance.
- Fiberglass is the most versatile of all materials and it can be designed to resemble wooden doors. You can achieve the look you want for a fraction of the price. However, if you live in a very cold area then be aware that fiberglass can break in severe conditions.
- Vinyl doors are dent proof and perfect if you live in areas with lots of kids. However, there aren’t many styles and colours to choose from.
If you’re wondering where to purchase your garage door from, then look around for the most popular garage door manufacturers. DIY shops such as B&Q will be able to offer advice. Make sure you use a reputable company to get the most out of your purchase.