Can’t separate fact from fiction about Motability cars? Here are some key facts
Motability is a big buzzword in the car industry right now and when shiny new Motability cars are added to the line up (roughly every three months in line with price restructuring), the media machine comes roaring to life.
That said, how much do you actually know about the scheme? If the answer is ‘not a lot’, here are some key facts:
- Over 630,000 customers currently use the Motability Scheme.
- The Scheme started in 1978 and since then has leased over 3 million Motability cars, scooters and powered wheelchairs.
- 33 top car manufacturers collaborate with Motability to produce 2000 models and makes of vehicle.
- Around one in three disabled people use their mobility allowance to lease a car through the Scheme
- Not all of the Scheme’s customers drive Motability cars; some travel as passengers with the car being driven by a family member or nominated carer. This accounts for around 32,000 children under the age of 16
- Customers’ lives are improved with the Scheme. Over 60% of Motability customers say that they are ‘better off’ when running costs of the car, insurance and lifestyle are taken into account.
- 85% of customers report better access to healthcare as a result of the scheme and the freedom that Mobility cars provide.